Page 1 of 1

ResQ Search and Rescue

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:23 am
by Eric
So for nearly 2 years now I've been quietly working on a test system which can be installed in any aircraft, drone, quadcopter or RC plane and be used to locate lost people such as campers, hikers, medical emergencies etc.

I was inspired by the huge number of search and rescue cases on the TV show "North Woods Law" and every time I saw the difficulties tehy faced to find the lost people.

I noticed that these people often had a cell phone but it didnt work to contact the cell towers in the remote areas they were located. The handy part though- if the phone is on and wifi is turned on- the beacon packets would still be happening and I could sniff those.

using an ESP8266 I was able to sniff the beacon frames and detect any cell phone turned on in range. I wil document and share the project now for others to use and improve upon.

Stay tuned.

Re: ResQ Search and Rescue

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 am
by Eric
Project has now been posted to Hackaday for easier distribution and instruction. I will maintain all docs and code on GIT but for now the whole project overview can be found here: ... escue-tool

I also made a dedicated playlist for the videos/tutorials. Now it will make more sense the series of videos over the last year :) ... -9nNYl8QLr

GitHub Repo:

Re: ResQ Search and Rescue

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:04 am
by Eric
Lots of updates lately but TLDR the project now logs:

Detects all Beacons and their mac addresses within range
Detects All AP's in range (not needed but why not log them anyhow)
Gets GPS Lat/Long positioning
Gets GPS UTC Time
Logs all the above to the SD card .csv file every time any device detected changes
Displays the number of clients detected, APs detected, time and Lat/Long on the OLED screen live.

Coming along nicely. Updates posted in project logs on Hackaday

Re: ResQ Search and Rescue

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 pm
by Eric
Blog post is updated with project details here: ... e-arduino/

I updated the Hackaday project last night as I got KiCAD working! I was finally able to make some better schematic files and share them on GIT. This project is coming together nicely I think :)